Sunday, April 19, 2020

Have I Done Any Good?

How have you changed the world? What efforts have you made to make the world a better place? Have you done any good in the world today? One of my favorite hymns asks some of those same questions. It says

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.  

Doing good truly is a pleasure, but it can sometimes feel overwhelming. Especially when it feels like the world is coming to an end. I used to be so passionate about making a difference. It didn't matter what I was doing, I had big dreams to change the world for the better in any way that I could think of. I still want the world to be a better place and I would love to be a part of making that happen, but lately I've just been trying to survive. When I got married, I was so excited to change the world with my husband! But then I got caught up in myself and trying to figure out how to be a wife that I forgot about serving others. I couldn't see beyond myself or my husband. When I became a teacher, I was thrilled to be able to make a difference in the lives of my students. But then I got caught up in myself and making sure that I was teaching all the material and doing it accurately. I was so focused on technicalities that I missed many opportunities to serve my students in meaningful ways. And then Covid-19 hit. I am literally just trying to survive. Avoiding people, keeping my home a clean and happy environment that won't drive my husband and me bonkers, and once again, just caught up in myself. I haven't been thinking about doing good and helping those in need. 

I'm sure we can all understand this. It happens! But life is about more than just survival and being caught up in ourselves. We need to be making connections and reaching out to others in meaningful ways despite the difficulties we may face. It's not about simply doing nice things here and there. It's about having an attitude of love and service for all people. We need to find and develop a passion for serving others. In the Book of Mormon, Mosiah chapter 2, King Benjamin explains why:

"22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.
23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.
24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?"

Our Lord, and Savior, Jesus Christ descended from His heavenly home to do for us what we could not and cannot do for ourselves. He has paid the price for our sins and made it possible for us to one day return to live with Him in Heaven. He is the reason that Heavenly Father's plan of happiness is made possible. He is the reason we are on the earth today with bodies of flesh and bone. King Benjamin explains that we need to serve others because Jesus Christ gave us our lives and we are forever indebted to Him. We will never be able to repay Christ for what He has done for us, but we can show Him that we are infinitely grateful and that we will give our lives to Him as He gave His life for us.

King Benjamin also points out that the Lord has commanded us to love and serve others. Beyond following His commandments for the sake of showing our love for Him, the Lord has promised to bless us immediately (even more so than He already has) when we do keep His commandments.

Jesus Christ dedicated his life to serving others. Even through persecution and temptations, He was always reaching out to others by listening to, healing, forgiving, and loving all that He encountered. He is a Heavenly King. King Benjamin was an earthly king. He spent his days serving his people as well. He says, "14 And even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne..."  King Benjamin served his people in ways that most kings in history have never and will never try. He taught that "...When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

Why did he labor so hard even though he was a king and ruler over the people? Because he loved God and thus loved his people. King Benjamin goes on to ask, "If I, whom ye call you king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another?" Of course they should! And the same goes for us and the Lord. If Christ, who is our Heavenly King, did spend His mortal ministry laboring to serve all, then ought not we to labor to serve all as well?

The scriptures continue, "19 And behold also, if I, whom ye call your king, who has spent his days in your service, and yet has been in the service of God, do merit any thanks from you, O how you ought to thank your heavenly King!"

Let us all thank our Heavenly King by serving Him. By serving His children. What's stopping us? Too busy? Don't care? Lost the passion for it? Nothing should take precedent over keeping the commandments of Christ. We should never be too busy for others and we better care, gosh dang it! I lost my passion for service for a little while, but the Book of Mormon has helped remind me why service is so important, and that flame of passion has been reignited!

If you are struggling to feel the desire to serve, then pray, get up and go serve. As we actively seek to help others and make a difference in the world, the joy we feel from that service will propel us forward into continual action. Create the passion and go do good in the world!

I love you all! <3 
In the comments, I'd love to hear (1) how someone has served you in a meaningful way and/or (2) how serving others has blessed your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment