Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Speechless

     Aladdin recently came out as a live-action film. Similarly to the other live-action Disney movies, new songs were written and added to enhance the story line. In this particular show, a song was written entitled, "Speechless," sung by Jasmine. This song inspired me in a number of ways so I decided to make it a theme for the next couple of my posts. The topic that I would like to focus on today is mental illness and why those who have it should not remain speechless.
     To begin, I'd like to share some statistics with you. Banyan Mental Health has expressed that "approximately 1 in 5 adults, 43.8 million, Americans experience some form of mental illness in a given year." Mental illness is widespread and the number of people affected is rapidly increasing. If almost half of American adults deal with it, why is it so hard to talk about? Over time, society has developed a negative stigma regarding mental illness that leads many people to believe that there is something wrong with those who experience it. Many people who struggle with depression, anxiety, or any other mental illness, also buy into the stigma. This can lead people to bottle up their thoughts and emotions.
     A clinical psychologist, Victoria Tarratt says, "Suppressing your emotions, whether it's anger, sadness, grief or frustration, can lead to physical stress on your body. The effect is the same even if the core emotion is different... We know that it can affect blood pressure, memory, and self-esteem." She goes on to explain that the risk of diabetes and heart disease is also increased as well as there being greater chances of problems regarding 'memory, aggression, anxiety, and depression.' Expressing emotions is crucial; especially to those who struggle with mental issues.
     As someone who has dealt with depression, I know that it can feel like it is the master. It feels like no one else could possibly see my problems as being as difficult as I feel they are. It can feel as though sharing my depressive thoughts and feelings would do nothing but drag others down. These feelings can be as real as anything, but they're not always true. One of the most important things a person can do when struggling with depression is to speak up. Seeking help can be harder than solid rock and it takes courage, but it is worth it. Speaking up is a step to receiving the mental healthcare necessary to overcoming these struggles, it can relieve those afflicted of carrying the burden all alone, it releases much of the pent-up emotion that Dr. Tarratt spoke of earlier, and it can help to raise awareness and gove support and hope to others.
     As a high school senior with this newfound knowledge that I had depression, I decided not to tell too many people. Most people knew me as an overly positive person and I didn't want that to change. Despite my efforts, I definitely was not the same as I had always been. I was more somber and I didn't actively participate in social settings as much. It felt like I was losing friends and being excluded left and right. There was a part of me that didn't want to express my feelings at all because it might be viewed as gossiping. Holding in all of those emotions had me feeling like my head might explode. I later learned from the doctor that it's actually extremely healthy to talk about my depression. As I began speaking of it more, I learned that a great number of the people I interacted with daily also struggled with depression. We began talking, became better friends, and were able to help each other through difficult times.
     Mental illness can often feel more powerful than we feel. It can seem like it controls us; like we can't resist it. I'm hear today to tell you that YOU ARE POWERFUL! Your mental struggles do not control you. There are things that you can do to ease the burden of the struggles placed upon your back. Being a part of a community of friends and family can help increase your power. Hearing Jasmine's words in Speechless got me thinking about speaking that way to my depression. She said, "Cause I'll breathe when (you) try to suffocate me. Don't you underestimate me, cause I know that I won't go speechless."
     When your mental illness seems to be suffocating you, tap into that incredible power which you possess to take action. If all you can do is speak up, then do it! There are people on every corner filled with compassion and a shoulder to lean on. There are people filled with love for you that you may be completely unaware of. You never know about these things until you speak up. Please join with me and #beheard because I know that I definitely won't go speechless.








1 comment: